Sunday, January 11, 2009

The spring garden begins......NOW!

It is time!  Time to stop simply perusing the gardening and seed catalogs, and place an order. That means hard decisions.  How many varieties of sunflowers can we really grow?  I want them all!  Should we grow bush beans, or really commit, and grow pole beans?  Which pumpkins would be more fun?  Will the Japanese cucumbers grow in our soil?  So many decisions.  This year, our first year of gardening at Little Bird Farm, we will go mostly with what we know will grow.  Or at least, what we think we know will grow!  It is hard to keep that in mind as I place items in my virtual basket.  I expect that we will try a couple long-shots - but in my mind's eye, I see rows and rows of zinnias, sunflowers, tomatoes, and cucumbers, and French breakfast radishes!    

2 comments:

chrissy j said...

Have you ever tried out old house gardens? i bought my sister bulbs from there and every one of them bloomed beautifully.

Little Bird said...

Well, no. I haven't heard of them. But I will check 'em out! Thanks for the tip! I hope to do some gardening with you and the boys this summer. Come on by!

Blog Archive