Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Ichiban begins his 40th year! Oh, my!

Yes, our oldest, our Ichiban, Joshua, turned 39 yesterday! This is, of course, a wild concept for a parent; that one's child is 39 years old. It is my ritual, since the year of his blessed arrival, to begin my serious planting in the garden on Josh's birthday. The day before he was born, I gardened seriously for the first time with the help of a good friend, Peggy. She taught me a lot of things about gardening, things I remember and employ to this day. By day's end on May 19, 1975, I was in pain. Big pain! I thought it was gardening pain. (Every gardener knows gardening pain, especially in the early weeks of the season!) But I was so wrong. It was labor pain! And by 1:15 in the afternoon of Tuesday, May 20th, an adorable baby Josh was in my arms! Bliss! That summer, Joshua grew, along with the tomatoes and chiles, the cucumbers and the morning glories - heavenly blue! That was a wonderful, precious summer. Here is a photograph of Josh carrying on the gardening tradition with his beautiful young family while I was visiting them in North Carolina earlier this month. What fun! Happy 1st day of your 40th year Young Joshua!

No comments:

Blog Archive