Saturday, August 23, 2008

Dilly Bean Day


It was a perfect day to make Dilly Beans.  I bought 2 pounds of perfect young green beans, fresh dill, and vinegar.  I had Kerr pint canning jars leftover from when we used them as candle holders, hanging in the trees at our very first Little Bird Farm party.  I even found the big canner and all the necessary accessories when I unpacked more boxes this week.  I settled easily into the rhythm of this new kitchen - new to me, that is.  I enjoyed the feel of the kitchen, catching a glimpse from the kitchen sink of neighbors walking their dogs on the ditch-bank road.  A black and white kitty visited our kitchen door, looking at me in a confused way, wondering who lives here now, I suppose.  All the while, I enjoyed the process of packing the jars, adding the red pepper, garlic, and dill to each jar, and then the vinegar mixture.  What a lovely feeling it is to place the jars into the canner, allow them to boil ten  minutes, and gently lift them out - beautiful.  Within minutes - "pop-pop-pop".  Each lid seals perfectly.    

1 comment:

burkbum said...

I live the simple things, the rhythm of living somewhere comfy and cozy, and making something you can see, smell and in your case, taste, when done. So gratifying!

Blog Archive