Saturday, May 29, 2010

Sweet time with my elders




I have had the privilege of spending quite a lot of time with my parents recently. The biggest reason I moved here two years ago, even though my "better half" (my hero!) had to continue to live in California a while longer (honoring his commitment to Uncle Sam) is this- so I can enjoy my parents now! Realizing I will not always have this pleasure, I simply love getting to visit with my Mom & Dad at their house. Mom is wheelchair bound (temporarily we trust), so today we went out for a wheelchair "walk" together for the first time since her surgery. I knew she would enjoy seeing the beautiful flowers in bloom, and while I nearly catapulted her out of her chair on a big crack in the road that I did not see (!!!!! sorry Mom!!!!), it was a lovely "walk". My brother (yes, he is one of my heroes too), joined us for a bite of lunch, re-vitalized the folks' water feature, and invited me to join him at a wine tasting! He's so good to me! We had a fine time!

My Dad (one more hero!) graced me with a gift today. He gave me a book that had belonged to my grandmother - his mom. It was a gift to my grandmother from her mother-in-law. It was written in 1922 by Edgar A. Guest. The title is Making the House a Home. It is a dear little book about...home! I love that this sweet book was important to my Grandma Carol. And that my Dad saved it and gave it to me. Thank you, Dad!

No comments:

Blog Archive